Blog Posts

Blog Post 1 Best Learning Experience

When trying to think back to some of my best learning experiences, there is one that stands out. I’m not sure if this is in part because it was a more recent experience, but nevertheless it is one that I feel was above the rest. It was a course last summer I took at Uvic that discussed topics related to education. As I am an education student, this was an intriguing topic for me, so going into the class before even stepping foot inside I was already engaged. I had the motivation to learn, as discussed in the readings for this week because I had an “interest or curiosity about the topic”. This was just the first reason as to why I think the class was going to be successful in being a positive one for myself, even before it had started. 

Another reason I believe this class was one of the best ones for me, was because the instructor took a constructivist approach to the activities and instruction within the class. There was not much of the traditional or behaviorist way of teaching where the teacher stands at the front and delivers information and the student does work based on how the teacher has shown them how to do it. We were given some instruction, but were given the opportunity to have experiences and discussion and take away or learn whatever we interpreted it to be. The course and the meaning we took away from it was based on experiences in the class. That could be different depending on which student in the class you asked, but not one or the other was more valid or valuable. I think that as a student, for myself personally, I struggled in school when I was made to do something exactly how the teacher had taught the class. I sometimes need more time to think and process information so classes that are too fast paced tend to leave me not feeling like I’ve grasped all the relevant information. This learning experience allowed me to come to my own conclusions and play out my own process for learning which is something I feel best suits my learning style. 

Blog Post 2 – Inquiry Based Learning

Inquiry based learning is, to put simply, a way of teaching and learning that is meant to trigger curiosity. The approach is meant to stray away from the more traditional teaching method of direct instruction when the teacher stands at the front of the room and delivers explicit instruction and information and students are expected to give what they learned back to them through tests and worksheets. In an Inquiry based learning classroom, some of the authority is given to the students in what they learn about, and how they present their new learnings. The teacher’s role is to provide and nurture students’ experiences in the hopes of triggering that new found curiosity. Inquiry based learning is not something that happens overnight and takes time, patience and practice to achieve by both the teacher and the student(Trevor MacKenzie, N.D). Below is a diagram that may help in better understanding the inquiry process within a classroom: 

Retrieved from: Trevor Mackenzie. Trevor MacKenzie. (n.d.-b). https://www.trevormackenzie.com/

The different types of Inquiry based teaching are related to the stages of learning how to swim. You wouldn’t throw a person learning how to swim into to the deep end of the pool when first learning, and the same goes for a student in an Inquiry classroom. You start out slow, structuring the Inquiry so students begin to understand the process in which you take when engaging in Inquiry (Trevor MacKenzie, N.D). Then you move a little bit deeper into the pool, giving students more autonomy in their process. Eventually they’ll be swimming on their own by creating their own product based on the teacher’s prompts. Finally, they’ll be completely left on their own to figure out and trigger their own curiosities. 

Inquiry based learning can be related to our informational resource topic of the Circle of Courage. In the Circle of Courage, the idea is that for a student to be able to learn, basic needs need to be met. Those needs are Mastery, Generosity, Independence and Belonging. It pertains in a way to each need, but especially to the need of Independence. Students need to have authority and choice in their learning, Inquiry based learning, varying from stage to stage, gives them that autonomy at different levels. Giving students that choice in how they learn, what they learn about and how they represent it is a big part of ensuring their Independence need is met. 

Inquiry-Based Learning. Trevor MacKenzie. (n.d.). https://www.trevormackenzie.com/inquiry-based-learning

Trevor Mackenzie. Trevor MacKenzie. (n.d.-b). https://www.trevormackenzie.com/

Blog Post 3Interactive Media Resource

1. How will your interactive learning resource specifically ensure that the needs of all learners can be met?

The content of our resource is meant to ensure that student’s needs within the classroom are being met, so that they are fully able to participate in their learning. The Circle of Courage states that students’ 4 basic needs of Belonging, Mastery, Independence and Generosity are being met. When those needs are truly being met during their time at school, in theory they should be able to participate and learn. It is the teacher’s duty to provide students with opportunities to meet these needs and nurture that learning environment. 

Our resource specifically is meant to teach educators who may not have been aware of this philosophy to think about implementing in their own classrooms. It will contain information about each of the needs, as well as tools and programs that can be used to foster the growth of that need in their classrooms. Teachers may not be aware of the certain tools that can be used in their classrooms to better meet their students’ needs, so bringing that to their attention as well as explaining how to use them is something that we see as beneficial. Another topic that it will cover is explaining what could happen to students if their need is not met. It is important for teachers to be aware of the signs that certain needs within the classroom are not being met, so they can correct and provide students with proper support.  

The whole purpose of this idea is that all of the students’ needs should be met, therefore our resource will hopefully be accomplishing the goal of ensuring that happens. We feel that it can be a very useful resource for teachers who have heard about the Circle of Courage and want to learn more about it. It also can be used as a positive tool in the reconciliation effort and by Indigenizing our classrooms by including and discussing Indigenous philosophies. 

Post 4 – Interactive Media Resource – Video

The video I’ve chosen to discuss can be found here: First Nations Principles of Learning

This video goes over the basics of the Circle of Courage and what that means, as well as other First Peoples Principles of learning. I’ve found it to be very useful and informative and feel it could be used in Upper elementary to high school levels of learners. The interaction required from the video would be whatever the teacher and students made of it. It doesn’t explicitly ask or tell students to do anything, but it could be used in a way that did. If students were to respond to the video on their own, I feel that some reflection might begin to occur. They may start to think about their own experiences and how they feel when they’re at school. Maybe they would reflect on if their needs in those areas discussed in the video were being met, and what could be done to meet those needs. This as a teacher, would be an excellent exercise to complete as a class to be able to interact with the video purposefully. Discussing as a whole class what those areas meant more specifically, sending them to discuss in smaller groups about how their needs in those areas are being met, or not, in their classroom experience would be useful. Then bringing that back as a whole class to discuss before eventually allowing them to journal or show their thoughts in whatever medium they chose. The teacher could then see where the shortcoming of their classroom or school may be regarding those areas. 

As stated before, I feel that the way students show their thoughts and ideas regarding the video could be done in whatever way they chose. Whether that be to journal, or to draw a picture or whatever they choose, I feel this exercise would be suited best if they decide how they display their thoughts. As far as uses of technology that students could use I feel that allowing them to type their thoughts or display their ideas digitally would be useful for some students. They could use word or google docs to type out ideas or Microsoft paint if they wanted to be more artistic in their response. Technology could be used to ensure all students are able to participate in the activity. 

Peer Review Discussion – Group 1

Learning Pod: # 1

Peers’ Names: Katherine Harris, Natalie Airlie, Fawzan Hussain, Amanda Beechey, Caelum Dudek and Mathew Terhune

Interactive Learning Resource Topic: Well-being and Mindfulness in Children

Identify components of the Interactive Learning Resource that might be missing (e.g., appropriate outcomes, alignment, interactivity, inclusivity, technology use and rationale, presentation, grammar, spelling, citations, etc.).

I think that a little more could be done in regard to your inclusion plan. For example, it was mentioned that for a student who is nonverbal, they could respond using a thumbs up or down to participate in an activity. While this is allowing them to participate in the activity to some extent, it doesn’t allow for full participation. In this scenario, they are not participating in the same way as their peers, and unable to give the same depth of answers. Perhaps allowing a student who is nonverbal to use some sort of text to speech application or if they feel comfortable writing or drawing their answers, it may give them more opportunity to fully participate. I think that your resource does have some great ideas on inclusion, just adding more depth may bolster what you already have.

Provide a summary of The Interactive Learning Resource’s strengths and weaknesses. Draw out specific examples from your peers’ work to justify your feedback.

I think that the topic you chose is one that is very important to consider and be made aware of. The subtopics and essential questions you chose do a great job of highlighting what you hope to accomplish and are very relevant to the topic of mindfulness. I think that you also were able to include some great resources to go along with your essential questions that allow students and teachers to interact and work through the questions you raised. For example, the breathing activities chosen I think do a nice job of giving students an introduction to that topic.   I think that perhaps your assessment and inclusion sections may need just a bit of tinkering or additional information added. Some of the ideas you have are great, but some lack some depth or clarity. For formative assessment, thumbs up or thumbs down is a great way to quickly check for understanding and is a part of formatively assessing students, but it isn’t a very strong tool on its own. What will the summative assessment look like? It’s just lacking a little bit of detail at the moment.

Provide general, specific, and practical recommendations to your peers on how to improve their Interactive Learning Resource.

Overall, I think your Interactive learning resource is useful and has lots of potential. I would recommend re looking at your assessment and inclusion sections and adding some depth to both of them. Perhaps adding some self-assessment activities or peer and group assessment throughout your lessons to add a student-centered approach to learning. Thinking more about how technology can be used for inclusion, and what inclusion strategies are imbedded in your lessons to account for all types of learners in your classrooms.

1. raquel

Noah,
    Thank you for sharing your knowledge of Inquiry-Based learning and applying it to the Circle of Courage. I researched direct instruction and it was interesting to see the differences between to two approaches and think about when/where it would be appropriate to integrate both approaches. One thing I enjoy about inquiry-based learning is the flexibility that comes with the approach as you outlined with Trevor MacKenzie’s pool model. In all, though inquiry-based learning is more foreign to me as a student, I am inspired to integrate this approach further into my instruction as it more closely follows my views and the value of the Circle of Courage.

As a student, did you ever partake in inquiry-based learning?

2. aydenweber

Hi Noah,

I love inquiry-based learning. I believe it gives students autonomy over their own learning and drives them to be more passionate about what they are learning because they are choosing to learn it. I feel that inquiry-based learning also aligns well with the constructivist theory of learning. I discussed the constructivist theory of learning in my blog post #1 (https://aweberportfolio.opened.ca/2023/06/04/blog-post-1/). Both the constructivist theory of learning and inquiry based learning emphasize the importance of learning through doing. Both highlight the that students build their knowledge from the world around them and that curiosity can drive learning and knowledge.

This is an image I have been shown in the past that highlights the importance of inquiry-based education.
    https://www.teachthought.com/critical-thinking/10-benefits-of-inquiry-based-learning/

It shows the benefits and why it is so important. I recommend giving it a look.

Thank you Noah for your wonderful discussion post!

3. tanya77d

Hi Noah,
    I really like the swimming pool analogy that sums up inquiry based learning quite well. I agree with you that it is essential to give students agency of their learning journey and experience. It is actually amazing how this one approach improves their learning motivation, boosts their creativity and makes them committed lifelong learners.
    🙂

4. Anastassiya

Hi Noah!

Thanks for sharing your blogs on the best learning experience and Inquiry-Based Learning! It’s great to hear that you had a wonderful time during the course on educational issues last summer. I agree that motivation plays a crucial role in effective learning. Additionally, I believe the constructivist approach is an excellent way to facilitate learning. By allowing learners to construct their knowledge through hands-on experiences, inquiry, and problem-solving, they are more likely to retain and apply the information in real-life situations.

I’ve always found it helpful to think of different types of Inquiry-based teaching, like learning how to swim. Just like in swimming, various techniques and approaches to Inquiry-based teaching can be tailored to individual learners. Some learners may need more support and structure, while others may thrive with more freedom and experimentation. Ultimately, the goal is to help learners feel confident and comfortable in their learning environment, just like a swimmer feels secure and comfortable in the water.

Please do not forget to reference the resources that you use appropriately.

5. Anastassiya

Hi Noah! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on how interactive learning resource can ensure that the needs of all learners can be met. I was wondering if you could elaborate on how Belonging, Mastery, Independence, and Generosity can be addressed, specifically according to CAST guidelines. Any specific examples you could provide would be greatly appreciated! Additionally, do you have any suggestions on specific tools or strategies that teachers can use to create inclusive and welcoming environments for diverse learners?

• noahforbes

Hi Anastassiya,
      These areas can all be addressed in relation to the CAST guidelines. If students were tasked with talking or writing about Mastery, and how that need being met in the classroom may look there are a couple of ways it could be addressed in relation to the CAST guidelines. If a student had trouble writing, technology could be used to assist them in that way. If they have trouble formulating sentences and getting their ideas down, they could just as easily record their ideas in point form or even just verbalize them.

As far as ways teachers can create inclusive environments, I think it comes down to really getting to know each individual in the class and figuring out what they need to succeed. Providing students with a multitude of different ways to show their learnings is key. Have students build their own Kahoots and quiz each other on a topic or let them create an art piece that is representative of something learned in the class are both options. It doesn’t always have to be traditional in the sense of pencil on paper, giving them different ways or ways that work best for them will only be positive for both students and teachers.

6. Anastassiya

Hi Noah! I really enjoyed learning about First Peoples Principles of learning. I was thinking, have you ever considered incorporating a pre-watching activity like share/pair? I think it could be a fantastic way for participants to share how they apply these principles to their own teaching. It would give them a chance to really dive deep into the content and optimize their learning experience. Just a thought!